Thursday 22 September 2011

Food Gems 'Friends'

Food Gems presents its own (of sorts):



... need I say more?

A coffee house [insert sigh of great thirst]. With muffins {insert a sigh of huge desire}.

I don't know about you, but I used to enjoy the 30 minutes of light entertainment (and stupidity-resulting laughter) that the Friends sitcom used to provide (and still does thank you to the invention of the re-run!).

The show not only provided light-hearted insight into the possibility of friends and what fun we might aspire to find in our own friendships, but how fun and happy-go-lucky [American] life seemed. How it all seemed so desirable, perfect even, and yet totally attainable and achievable; and still makes so many foreigners want to fill in lottery applications for Greencards.

What I noticed, as a perfectionist (however imperfect I am), was Monica's cleaning behaviour and her cooking skills. But did I actually consciously realise that much of the show revolved around food? Oddly, no! I never really considered the fact. Until. Yesterday.

Perusing the local thrift store I happened upon a shiny dust-jacket-covered book. It was, or more precisely they were, staring blatantly at me like, grab...I'm great. And you know what, it is! The cast of Friends stares at me from the dust-cover and I love that! This is my newest-most-favourite-cooking-book. Ever.

The food gems in this book are fantastic and so far being half way through the book, I want to try each and every one. Thus far, there is no complaining that I have bought an album because it had a single I just had to have but omg I can't stand hearing the rest of the album and so have the single on replay and why didn't I just purchase the single? Because. You. Know. That. Happens. All. The. Time. Dammit.

No. I am loving this book of I want this one, and that one, oooh and that one and this. And I might try that for dinner....and how about THAT for dessert after this crazy-delicious salad? Wait, ooooh cookies and biscotti!

So, because I am loving this book's recipes, and the fact that they are so simple, creative and yet straightforward (and likely quite adaptable), I have to share a recipe in tt&e's first food gems post.

Smoked Salmon Canapes with Dill Cream Cheese

1 square loaf pumpernickel bread, sliced
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
2 tablespoons minced fresh dill leaves, plus more for garnish
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 pound thinly sliced smoked salmon, slices cut in half

Preheat the broiler. Cut the slices of pumpernickel bread on the diagonal into 4 triangles. Toast the triangles under the broiler until crisp. Beat the cream cheese, dill, lemon juice, and pepper with an electric mixer or heavy spoon until well combined.
Spread some of the dill cream cheese over each toast. Lay a piece of salmon over each toast and garnish with a tiny piece of dill. Serve promptly or chill for up to 2 hours.
Makes about 60 canapes, enough for 15.

This is delicious as an appetiser but I have to admit to wanting this as a lunch.

Happily lost in the depths of Friend food tt&e is sure to provide many more recipes from this book for your consuming pleasure.

tt&e salivating at the thought of things to come in food gems...

No comments:

Post a Comment