Sunday 15 January 2012

Admit One...but not to a film.


I think it might be time to admit one something - kind of big and kind of (okay very) shameful (I'm not judging others by that point btw but am saying because I find it shameful of myself).

I use television, dvd's, youtube, and other forms of children's visual entertainment to entertain my children. I will make no excuses for this because what sounded perfectly rational in my head at the time of doing it (and even up to 10 seconds ago) now sounds totally, utterly, and completely pathetic. Thus SHAMEFUL BE MY NAME!



Sometimes, I want to get something important done, without interruption - step up to the plate TELEVISION.

Sometimes I just need a shower - say hello to DVD number 352!

Every now and again I just need space - Ladies and Gentlemen please put your hands together and make welcome the one and only YouTube (kid-friendly viewing only!).

Occasionally when I have to cook dinner - Welcome your host for the evening: Tom Bergeron - because no one entertains the kiddies like American blunders (ouch).

As a mother who is passionate about education, I feel defeated sometimes, because sometimes I just throw my hands up and say whatever (often in the early evening when I am trying to prepare dinner with two kids who need my undivided attention as they either jump off the dining table or dig up the most important book that must be read with urgency in the middle of the kitchen floor as food and trays and hot ovens going flying over the top of them (bugger).

Thus it is with great great huge gigantic dismay that I realise that tomorrow I must stop this before it becomes a permanent pattern of entertainment for the children too. I need to revert back to my nanna ways of entertaining that I so greatly enjoy. Designing homework for afternoon busy-ness and participating, limiting the television to sometimes great shows and watching together, and to let them play yet another game on the lounge floor even though the last one is still in mid-play and play too. Okay so I usually do these things and I don't let the kids watch that much television but you will get the idea of where my overexaggerated panic-filled dilirium comes from if you read on:

Today, as is usual with Sundays, I made homemade pizza for lunch and prepared a gingerbread man recipe for baking when cooled later. Romeo came into the kitchen carrying some of Persia's dolls utensils. Waving one around he said 'I've got my spatula!'. 'Oh great, so you have. Where did you learn that word?' I asked eagerly - hoping it was from cooking with me for a few years, or wow, great, from school talking about the scientifics of baking (since thay had been talking about knitting the other day (studying textiles and making clothes so that at least makes sense).

'I learned that from Spongebob!'

Crap, buggery, shirts and trousers, shot down!

Defeated. By. Spongebob.

This, as I blog while my children watch Sesame Street on the television that I turned on in preparation 10 minutes before it was due to start!

Shameful.

Byebye winter chills and ills I greatly despise you. I have been inside for 5 days with a very sick baby. I need air...

No comments:

Post a Comment